As the world has gone Barbie mad with the release of the Barbie movie. I thought I would answer the question of what Barbie should do to keep her vision safe?
If Barbie wanted to protect her vision, she would follow some simple and practical tips to maintain good eye health. Even though she’s a fictional character, it’s important to raise awareness about eye health for everyone. Here are some tips she could follow:
1. Regular eye exams: Barbie would schedule regular visits to an eye care professional, like an optometrist or ophthalmologist, to check her vision and overall eye health.
2. Limit screen time: Barbie would be mindful of the time she spends on electronic devices like phones, tablets, and computers, as extended screen time can strain the eyes. She might take breaks or use the 20-20-20 rule (looking at something 20 feet away (in Australia 20 feet is 6 meters) for 20 seconds every 20 minutes) to reduce eye strain.
3. Protect against UV rays: If Barbie enjoys spending time outdoors, she would wear sunglasses with 100% UV protection to shield her eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays.
4. Eat a balanced diet: Barbie would include eye-friendly foods in her diet, such as leafy greens, fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, citrus fruits, and carrots, which contain nutrients (especially Vitamin A) that promote good eye health.
5. Maintain proper lighting: When reading or working, Barbie would ensure that she has adequate lighting to reduce eye strain. As squinting can cause eye strain but also wrinkles in the future and every barbie is thinking ahead.
6. Avoid smoking: Barbie would avoid smoking and being around secondhand smoke, as smoking can increase the risk of eye diseases like cataracts and macular degeneration. While also ageing your whole body faster. Yes smoking is definitely best avoided.
7. Practice proper contact lens hygiene: If Barbie wears contact lenses, she would ensure she follows the recommended cleaning and replacement schedule to prevent eye infections. Also visit her eye care professional regularly so that eye health is checked. In Australia that is at least yearly for contact lens wearers.
8. Use safety eyewear: If Barbie engages in activities that could pose a risk to her eyes, such as sports or DIY projects, she would wear appropriate eye protection, such as safety goggles, safety glasses or face shields.
9. Manage underlying health conditions: Barbie would be aware that certain health conditions like diabetes can affect eye health, so she would work with her healthcare provider to manage such conditions effectively and keep her sugar levels under control.
By following these tips, Barbie could maintain good eye health and protect her vision for years to come. Remember, these tips are essential for everyone, not just Barbie!