Safety eyewear is an essential protective gear designed to safeguard the eyes from potential hazards in various environments, such as construction sites, laboratories, manufacturing facilities, and other workspaces where eye protection is necessary. In Australia, safety eyewear is subject to specific standards and regulations to ensure its effectiveness in preventing eye injuries. Our prescription safety eyewear are all certified to medium impact standards and are manufactured in Australia.
Some key points regarding safety eyewear in Australia include:
1. Standards and Regulations: Safety eyewear in Australia must adhere to the standards set by the Australian/New Zealand Standard (AS/NZS) 1337.6:2012. This standard outlines the requirements for eye and face protection, including safety eyewear, to ensure that it provides adequate protection against various hazards. It related to materials that the safety eyewear can be manufactured out of and the minimum thickness of the lenses. The size and presence of the side shields.
2. Types of Safety Eyewear: There are different types of safety eyewear available, such as safety glasses, goggles, face shields, and welding helmets. The choice of eyewear depends on the specific risks present in the workplace. Along with this there are also different standards of safety protection. From low impact (which is suitable for medical staff unless you are working with flying bone fragments), medium impact – the most common type of safety protection. Or high impact which is basically a medium impact safety glasses or goggles with a face shield over the top.
3. Lens Properties: Safety eyewear lenses may come with various properties, such as anti-scratch coatings, anti-fog coatings, and tinted or polarized lenses for specific applications. The lens properties should be selected based on the work environment and potential hazards. You may need both clear and sunglass options to be able to function safely through your day.
4. Prescription Safety Eyewear: For individuals who require prescription eyeglasses, prescription safety eyewear can be obtained. These are designed to provide both vision correction and protection against workplace hazards and ours are made in Australia.
5. Supplier and Manufacturer: To ensure the quality and compliance of safety eyewear, it’s important to purchase from reputable suppliers and manufacturers who meet the Australian standards. Safety Glasses Online has be providing quality safety eyewear to Australia and New Zealand for the last 10 years.
6. Proper Fit and Usage: Proper fit and usage of safety eyewear are crucial for maximum effectiveness. Eyewear should fit securely and comfortably to prevent slippage or discomfort during use. Regular inspections and maintenance are important to ensure that the eyewear remains in good condition. As scratched lenses can impede your vision and lead to accidents.
7. Training and Education: Employers should provide proper training to employees on the correct usage, care, and maintenance of safety eyewear. This includes information on when and where to use the eyewear and how to identify signs of wear and tear.
8. Compliance: Employers have a responsibility to provide appropriate safety eyewear to employees in hazardous work environments. Employees should also comply with safety protocols and wear the provided eyewear as required.
It’s important to note that my knowledge is based on information available up to September 2021. For the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding safety eyewear regulations and practices in Australia, I recommend consulting official Australian government sources, relevant safety organisations, or legal experts in the field.